Thursday, November 10, 2016

5 Points (or The Citizens and the Case of the Curious POTUS)

Well, where do I begin?
First off, we have a new president-elect, in case you didn’t hear. With that, full disclosure: I was a “lesser of two evils” voter. I chose to vote for the devil I know, rather than the devil I don’t. I realize that’s not saying much. I don’t feel the need to defend myself for that, because as I have said before I am a realist, and I feel we weren’t given much in the way of options to begin with.
Second, with regard to Trump’s nonexistent track record, I just sit here truly hoping that he doesn’t prove inept in his ability to run a country. I’ll hope for the best on that point.
Third, I feel that we as a country do this same dance every four-to eight years where we’ve grown fickle with the “establishment” and therefore feel the need to vote in the opposite party. Not realizing that the new boss is the same as the old.
Fourth, the amount of venom from both sides post-election is shameful. I continue to struggle with how anyone can get so caught up in being part of this mob mentality that we have labeled as “republican” and “democrat”. I will continue to assert that we need more options, and we need to get away from pretending that either of these parties is interested in changing anything that will take away their power, prestige or position.
Fifth (and perhaps most important), we all love drama right? It’s human nature. And realistically speaking Trump being elected and having people claim Armageddon is exactly that drama. Truth be told, the world will continue to turn, we will continue to be who we are. Even those of us that are part of groups that are at risk for marginalization and discrimination, will continue to do what we always do; rise above.







No comments:

Post a Comment