Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Warm Glow

                Of all the friends I’ve had in life television was my first. After a long day at elementary school nothing was more relaxing than getting home, finishing my school work and getting to watch TV. He-Man, DuckTales, G.I. Joe, Looney Tunes- and that was just a few of the cartoons. There were also game show reruns, heck I’d even watch Square One on PBS (Anyone else remember Mathnet? Yes? No? Maybe?).
                The stories, the antics of the characters, the not-so-subtle indoctrination of the mind of a child (I’m talking to you G.I. Joe ya preachy bastards!). I loved it all, and reveled in the escape it gave me.
                In a strange way it was almost like I’d accomplished something by my show even being on in the first place. For anyone near my age, this is akin to catching “your” song on the radio and running to get a cassette tape in order to get it recorded.
                Nowadays things are different. We have the option of dozens of regional cable companies, DIRECTV, Netflix and a myriad of other streaming and on demand and DVR services. If I don’t want to I never have to be seated on my couch when my favorite show airs in order to see it play.
                I also can digest with my eyes and ears an entire season, or the entire full length run of a show in a weekend if I want to completely become a shut in and forego bathing.
                However, as of about 2 months ago my girlfriend and I decided to drop our cable service and just go with Netflix and Hulu.
                Because of this my view of television has changed a bit. I no longer feel like my Sunday revolves around what Rick Grimes may do this evening vs. what I could be doing. There’s a certain level of freedom that comes with being disconnected from the box. I get what I want out of television, but it’s on my terms. In addition, I’ve discovered new shows that I would’ve never gotten to enjoy if it wasn’t for severing the cable/dish umbilical cord (Bojack Horseman, and Daredevil come immediately to mind).
                There are a few things I don’t miss at all…
1)      Blocks of endless commercials – I have already been brainwashed by some of the biggest brands on the planet, this mind control has been in effect for years. They got me early. I am not switching sodas, cell phones or even laundry detergent. Speaking of I need a Coca-Cola...Always Coca-Cola…Always Coca-Cola…
2)      The cost – No other way to say it, DirecTV is damn expensive, and the favorite chunk of my income is the disposable part.
3)      Shitty Customer Service – I haven’t had to complain to Netflix, well about anything really, and I likely never will. They’ve never put me on hold, or made me press a series of numbers in order to get to a representative who clearly from their tone despises my very existence. It’s a simple service leaving little that can go wrong.
                Oddly enough other than the two exceptions I mentioned I’ve largely been catching up on shows I never got to see through to the end (Deadwood anyone?). And the weirdest thing of all is what I miss the most about pay TV…
1)                  Every Simpsons Episode Ever (and always, whether you want it or not) - I miss seeing season 3 episode 6 of The Simpsons for the 14th time just because FXX puts it on what seemed to be an every night rotation for 2 solid weeks.
2)                  Channel Surfing – Sometimes I just want to watch everything, and nothing. Think of it as going on an aimless walk around your neighborhood in your underwear while eating Doritos. Kidding of course, underwear isn’t even a requirement.
3)                  Having it on to have someone in the room - I miss not being able to turn on the TV and immediately hear and see somethinganything! I don’t care if it’s Bill O’Reilly droning on about his preference on what he perceives to be an important current event, while talking over his guests. Okay, that’s not true, but I do miss TV as background noise.



Alright, enough of this reading and writing stuff – it’s as dumb as it is stupid. Time to go watch my 16th consecutive episode of Archer in the last 24 hours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment