Friday, September 25, 2015

Riding Off into the Sunset


As those of you that know me personally by now have come to know, I have recently left my job in order to go back to school full time and pursue my degree in Social Work. The below is the sort of "farewell" letter, if you will, i sent to those that I had worked with after nearly a decade of being employed at this company...
It is something of a milestone for me, as well as a bold and somewhat frightening adventure... 

9/25/2015
As some of you by now have no doubt heard, today will be my final day with the company, it is with mixed emotions that now after ten years I am leaving the company to pursue other interests.
If you are receiving this email it could be for any number of reasons:
1) You helped me (professionally in some way and maybe taught me something)
2) You inspired me (Shut it. Don’t let it go to your head)
3) You worked with me day in and day out (I tip my hat to you)
4) You simply made me laugh (something I value greatly)
5) You know your stuff (I think the company calls this ‘Business Acumen’)
6) Perhaps a combination of several or all of these
 I can say with confidence I have given my all, and done any job that I have had to the best of my ability. I think at least in part that has been due to the talented people I have been lucky enough to have worked with over the years that have helped support me. That being said, I would like to say that the recipients of this email would be a great deal longer had everyone I’ve worked with over the years still been with the company.
I can truly say I have met some great people and I’d like to focus on the positives as I depart.
Briefly, I imagined fashioning a note listing everyone out, and describing exactly what they had done for me since I’ve been employed here. In the end I thought better of it, as I hope most, if not all of you can point to whatever it was that allowed you to be in receipt of this email. In that regard, I also know I am about the worst when it comes to keeping in touch, so I’ll apologize to those of you that haven’t heard from me in quite awhile.
Some might think this act sentimental (maybe on some level it is) but mostly it’s about closure, and saying how I feel to all of you before I’m unable to.
So with that, I wish you the best- not in work, but in life.
Sincerely,
David (A.K.A. 'Doc')

2 comments: