Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Overheard (In Bars)


                I have spent many an hour in the confines of establishments whose main goal is to serve you alcohol up to the point of inebriation. I am not proud of this- ah hell, who am I kidding- I revel in it. It’s my lifestyle. I like to drink!

                Be ashamed of it- hardly! Apologize for it – never.

                I like every detail of nearly every bar; the crowd, the music, the ambiance. Even if a joint’s ‘ambiance’ consists of only dim lighting, belligerent drunks and Bud Light. Ok well, all of those things are fine by me, except for the Bud Light.

                Now I dunno if any of these tidbits make me qualified to reveal the following list, but all those things certainly have sparked my imagination and keep me listening, even when I probably shouldn’t have been. Throughout the years I have picked up a few one liners, snippets of conversations, and of course heard directly the lovely warble of those under the influence. So without further ado, here is a most random list of 10 things I have overheard in bars.

HINT: It helps to really get into character when you read them based on the details provided. This is especially true if you happen to be reading them in a bar.

 


10)  “Is that your horse out back?”

 

9)  While trying to claim two open stools at the bar.

Me: “Are these seats taken?”

Woman: “Why no honey, all yours.”

Me: (sitting) “Thanks”

Woman: “No problem. Did you know I’m drunk?”

Me: “Not at all, you wear it well.”

 

8) In a packed club near the dance floor, guy trying to get a girl’s attention.

                Guy: “Hey cutie, where are you going?”

                Girl: “Everywhere.”

                Guy: “Eww.”

 

7) Guy yelling, and holding a purse in front of the ladies room.

                “How can you still be pissing?”

 

6) Request from a complete (and drunk) stranger.

                “Would you mind holding my wallet while I run to the restroom? I don’t have any pockets.”

 

5) A man and woman leaving the bar, man asks this question:

                “What do you mean I fell down already?”

 

4) Girl arguing with a bartender (in Vegas no less).

                Girl: “But I ordered a Jack and Coke!”

                Bartender: “I know and that’s what this is. Jack Daniel’s and Coke.”

                Girl: “No stupid, like a Jack-Rum and Coke!”

                Bartender: “Do you mean a Rum and Coke?”

                Girl: “No Jesus Christ! Are you new? I bartend, if I could get back there I’d make it myfuckinself.”

 

3) Bartender speaking to a mature gentleman-regular who had likely had a wee bit too much.

Regular:  “That’s damn fine, damn fine. One of my favorites.”

Bartender: “Glad to hear you like it.”

Regular: “Matter o’ fact, forget like it- I love it!”

Bartender: “Great, ready for another?”

Regular: “Another what?”

 

2) Stranger turns to me at the bar and says:

                Eager Stranger: “Hey, did you know I drank a different beer everyday for the last year?”

                Me: “Nope sure didn’t.”

                Eager Stranger: “Wanna see pictures?”

 

1) While eating at a bar and grill. The stranger beside me at the bar taps me on the shoulder.

                Scary Stranger: “Oh bro I’m sorry, I think I just bled all over you.”

 

                Really, all of these are actual stories in and of themselves. In fact, I may do that! I’m recalling the details behind #1 now, and that one definitely stands out, and honestly, I envy the gent from #2.
 
               At any rate, I hope you had as much fun reading through them as I did reciting and remembering them. Ahh, good times. Cheers!

 

 

2 comments:

  1. This is my favorite thing you've EVER written. The most profound too! Please make this a column. Please make this a column. You could be the Carrie Bradshaw of bar drinkers across the world! The stories must be told! You could have your friends write guest pieces, I'm so excited. This must happen... We need to find you newspaper stat! It could be a book! Never. Stop.Writing.These....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, thank you, thank you! It would be my life's dream to write these professionally. I have PLENTY of personal experience to draw from. :)

    ReplyDelete